Saturday, March 29, 2008
Speaking of Hysterical...........
Kris went out of town this weekend to go and help his mom in Tennessee. So I decided Abram and I should have a super mom and Abram day doing tons of fun stuff. We started off with a walk around the neighborhood talking about springtime and listening to the birds, waving at neighbors, then followed up with playing with cars, and watching the Backyardigans. We tried to go to the park, but it was birthday party city there and the parking lot was too crowded. So after his nap and something to eat we tried the park again. There were balloons there and it looked like they were cleaning up yet another birthday party.....little did I know. We got out of the car and there were a few left over kids dressed in superhero costumes, the birthday boy was "the flash" and they were packing up-or so I thought. Actually they were setting up for ANOTHER birthday party!! Abram, being 17 months old, doesn't realize that he is not invited to the party meaning he is not aloud to play with "the Flash"'s toys or with the balloons. As I try to explain this, that is when it starts (while you are picturing this, know that other people are showing up for the party). He starts to cry, then scream, then cry and scream simultaneously, then kick and then hit-I am carrying him sideways while he is doing this. Did I get a comforting "I have been there" look from a fellow sister of the motherhood sorority? Uh...no, did I get a "why can't you control your child?" look-most definately. So there I am smiling, trying not to die of embarrassment, sweating because I am embarrassed and my little monkey is A LOT stronger than he appears. So it gets better, I open the car door (by then he knows we are leaving so the screaming, crying gets louder), I am trying to get him in his carseat when HE GRABS ONTO THE DOOR TRYING TO PULL HIMSELF OUT WHILE I AM PUTTING HIM IN!!! Seriously, it looked like I was trying to kidnap him! I am fumbling around trying to find the duck puppet to help, he is sweating because he is so upset, I finally wrestle him into his carseat (still crying, you can hear him outside the car). I wipe my forehead and go sit in the driver's seat trying to pull myself together and look forward to see people with their mouths gaped open. I take a deep breath and drive away. A few minutes later he is calmed down as if nothing happened. We went to Target afterwards and as we were walking in I heard it, the same crying and screaming, except this screamer could talk "No mommy! No mommy!" and then I see a mom carrying her screaming tantrum throwing child out of Target. I just smiled, it's funny how Heavenly Father gives us that "You're not alone." pat on the back when we need it. The joys of motherhood, but you know what-even on days like this, I wouldn't trade it for the world.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Aw man, bless your heart! :)
That happened to me not that long ago with...not bentley, but Chickie. It was also at the park and it was really bad. She is way to old for that and had a big girl punishment to match. Long story short...I feel your pain. They should have given him a balloon. We should all be more like little kids, and willing to play with anyone.
If it was my party, Abram could have joined in!
I get really frustrated with other mothers who give the 'control your child' look. As if their kids are always perfect angels. Whatever.
Oh, and by the way, don't the Backyardigans ROCK? :) I think I love them more than Oliver does...
Post a Comment