Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Calvin and Hobbes



It was Valentines Day 2004 and I called Kris. "Hey, let's torture ourselves and go to the pound. We'll just look around and play with the puppies." We had just bought our first house, it was small and brand new (I put that detail in because my mom said "Just what you need, brand new carpet and a brand new puppy."). Kris got there first and had this tiny little wussy looking puppy in his arms and said "What do you think?" I replied "eh, let's look around" He was in the very last kennel, laying on his back with his legs sprawled in every direction. "Hi" I said, and he flipped over revealing his mohawk on his back (he is a rhodesian ridgeback/springer spaniel mix-they think). "He is the one." I thought immediately. Kris took his dog and I took mine out to the pens to play. The puppy I picked out galloped (literally) around with these oversized paws, while Kris's was shy and didn't do much. My puppy stepped on Kris's puppy's head, I laughed and Kris hung his head, knowing his puppy was defeated. I couldn't stop thinking about the puppy. My cousins were coming in town that weekend and we went to visit the pound as well, that did it. It was decided, we were getting a dog. I will spare you from the high maintenance it was, taking a week off work, Kris's car getting stolen the same night we brought Obi home, me potty training Obi in 3 days-he only went once inside, having friends come in in shifts to let Obi out (thanks again!), Kris saying "He's so cute, let's let him sleep with us" when he was 17 lbs, 70 more pounds later-it's not as cute. Since I picked Obi out, Kris named him-Obi Wan Kanobi Raisor (only used when he is in trouble)well....the point to this, is Obi was our first "baby" and we were wondering how he would handle Abram. I remember being pregnant and all of going on a walk and Kris saying, "Maybe they'll be like Calvin and Hobbes (his favorite non-superhero comic)" Judging from the picture, I think they might be.

2 comments:

Pamelia said...

Obi and Abram look like they really love each other. That's a sweet picture!!

I am LoW said...

I have ALWAYS loved watching Obi and Abram together!! It's BEYOND sweet, it's like a fairy tale, without the fairies! (You get what I mean!!) They ARE what books are written about. Really, beyond sweet.