Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Nights I Miss the Pacifier....

If you are a wee bit Obsessive Compulsive, you may have noticed that my last post and this one, is at 4:30 ish A.M. Here I am, blogging away, when I should be asleep.  The past couple of nights Reese has been waking up screaming. And when I say "screaming", I mean "SCREA-MING" like in a horror movie.  So one of a few things happen-one of us will go in and change him and he will fall back asleep (rarely) or I will hold him and comfort him and then he will go back to sleep, or a couple of times when it was around 6AM I would bring him in bed with me while Kris is getting ready for work and he would either go back to sleep, or just lay there quietly and be cute. (I believe that if any of my former English teachers read that last sentence they would be embarrassed that they ever taught me.) This is a night where none of the following is working so we are doing the ol' "cry it out" method. And by "we" I actually mean me-and Abram (they share a room).  Kris is SNORING away in dreamland as I type this.

I have no idea what has gotten into the little booger.  He woke up SCREA-MING at 2:42AM and Kris went and checked on him.  He comes back says, "He's fine." except that he was still screaming with the same intensity. I waited a few minutes, he's still screaming- I go in comfort him and calm him down, change him, lay him down and still SCREAMING. I bring him in bed with us where he lays still for a while and then starts being cute and cuddly and talking in his cute-WIDE AWAKE voice. I try to lay still with my eyes close as Kris passes out.  Reese is rolling around, so Kris takes him back to bed-and it starts again. 

Abram starts yelling, "Reese! You are hurting my ears!" and then Abram has to go the bathroom.  Then, Reese sees that Abram gets out of bed and the screaming gets louder. You see where this is going right? Kris is asleep.  Abram goes back to sleep and I look at the clock-it's 4AM.  The two year old has been screaming for an hour, and is not letting up. I know if I get him it'll just make it worse, so I wait.....and wait...and listen to Kris snore.....maybe if he wasn't screaming "MOOOOMMMMMYYY!! Mommy!!! Mommy!". Why can't it be something that's not as heart wrenching-ya know? Like Daddy, or hamburger, or Dino Dan.  So I decided to be productive, catch up on blogging-and maybe whine a little.  (By the way, the "Mommy!'s" are getting further apart-and may be a little bit in his sleep, but I have to give it to him for perseverance-it's almost 5AM).  Ugh-I know what you are going to say- "It's a phase." I HATE that, because even if it's true- "PHASES" last for who knows how long.  And my kiddos do not know what "sleeping in" means. 

I hope we aren't talking about the "cry it out" nights in therapy in 10 years....

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Ear infection maybe? Ooooh sorry. We need to talk soon.