Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Mama's Game Face





I know that I have posted soo many zoo pics this summer, but really, how many times can a toddler enjoy the zoo? Well, today is a bit of a story. Our playgroup was taking a field trip to the zoo. It was going to be perfect-we made t-shirts for the kids, it was half price day, we were going to go in the late afternoon to avoid excess heat and crowds, could it get any better? The forecast all week has been for scattered thunderstorms. This doesn't mean a lot here in Alabama. I mean, it rains or it doesn't. There is crazy lightening and thunder, and sometimes there's a sprinkle, and sometimes there is a torrential downpour. So there we were looking at the monkeys and excited to ride the train, oh, even through the thick humidity this would be the best fieldtrip ever. Then we heard thunder. We all kinda smiled and blew it off. Then came the lightening. Still it wasn't too bad.....until it thundered so loud that we and the kids all jumped. Picture this-as we are heading for the train we see it. You know I have never (until today) ever seen lightening strike all the way to the ground beside the trees next to the train. But I must say, although it is quite fascinating, it will scare the crap out of you. You know when you are supposed to count in between the lightening and the thunder to see how many miles? Well I can honestly say there was no counting needed, it was here, and it was scary. It all happened so fast. The four of us went in to "mom game face mode" in no time at all. (If you are a mother, or work with children you know what I am talking about-the everything is going to be just fine face on the outside, the HOLY CRAP reacion kept on the inside) All of the kids are bulging eyes, looking to us to know how to react. And then almost in sync we smile and say it's time to go and power walk our strollers to the entrance amongst the hysterical people running for their lives. I might add that the people running for their lives in front of us could not run very fast and almost got taken out by two strollers. We had the calm no reaction face as we were all praying to not get struck by lightening. Seriously, it was way scary, I don't know when I have been that scared. I must admit I was a bit bitter as I sat in traffic FOREVER in rush hour that 20 minutes later the sun was shining and the storm had made it a bit cooler. Abram was just chillin with his Cookie Monster car like it had been any other day. I am so grateful for being protected today in the storm and for great friends I have that I can laugh about this with.....now that we are safe and sound :)

2 comments:

Amy said...

Hi Beth!
I love the shirts, love the story and I am so glad you are both ok.

Marla said...

Yikes, that does sound scary! The shirts are cute. Oh, and Dan and I were going through our highschool stuff! Trying to get rid of stuff and condense, and I saw pictures of you!!! LOL