Sunday, January 4, 2009

Today I Broke My Son's Heart............

I am so sad. As I type I am listening to the cries of a broken heart in the room across from mine. Today, we decided to break Abram from his pacifier. Abram only uses it to sleep-period. But after talking to the pediatrician (uh......2 1/2 months ago) and talking to Kris we decided it was time. Time is starting to go by really fast-meaning my pregnancy-and Abram is in for many big changes in his life. I knew the longer I waited regarding the beloved paci, the harder it would be. So today after church, we came home, ate lunch, changed clothes, and it was nap time. He got in ready mode paci in mouth and blanket in arm, and to the trashcan we walked-that's right people-cold turkey. He threw it in the trash can like I asked him to, and then immediately broke down. I can stand to listen to my child cry-like if he is in time out or whatever-but when he is hurting-I swear my heart brakes a little with his.

These "big changes" I was referring to? Well the paci comes first. Then, because his bed (crib) was broken during the move and is now totally rigged together, the next step is a big boy bed. Then, his little brother will be here in April-again turning his world upside down. THEN, I will worry about potty training. Which he isn't showing signs of being ready yet-unfortunately, and fortunately. UGH! This sucks.

In the meantime I keep chanting to myself- it'll be better for his teeth, and his speech, he won't be five years old wanting to take his paci to nap time in kindergarten, SURELY the crying will stop.....eventually, right? I'm not even in the mood to tell the funny story from church today-that'll have to wait.....at least until the sobbing stops.

4 comments:

Marla said...

Oh, he'll be okay. What we did with Ethan's was make a tiny hole in the tip. He tried to suck on it and found that it didn't work. So I told him it was broken when he asked me what was wrong. Then he threw it away. We went looking for all his other paci's and the same thing happened. (hard to believe that was a year ago today)

Anyway, we had a hard week and then it was fine.

We have lots of changes going on at our house also, but not as many as you guys do. Hopefully we'll get Ethan in a big boy room by the end of the month.

I am LoW said...

Awwww.... that's tough stuff! :-(

My girls were the only one's that used paci's. They gathered them all the day before their 3rd birthday and a fairy came at night to pick them up to take to other babies. :-)

Jennifer said...

I am so sorry Beth. Nothing is worst that listing to your baby cry. At least you had something to throw away though...I cannot throw away Carson' thumb. I will push down the little boy who calls my baby a thumbsucker on the playground.
Hang in there...

Katy said...

(((hugs))) He'll get through it.

As for the big boy bed--build it up ahead of time. ;) And let him choose--do you want to sleep in the crib or your big boy bed tonight? (Oliver chose the floor most nights lol.)