Abram had his first "time out" today. Can I just sarcastically comment that I do not know where he gets his strong will, temper, and dramatics from?! Let's start off the day where Abram ate a big breakfast, (note that he is going through a picky, doesn't want to eat any of his favorite foods phase). I am thinking to myself "He is eating such a good breakfast, I don't care what he eats the rest of the day because he has had eggs, toast, and fruit all good for him and healthy." Why did I think that? The rest of the menu for today was um....er.....mac and cheese, crackers, oatmeal and banana bread-awesome. Then we head to the pool. We are having a blast and then Abram decides he wants out of his float. This is fine, I get him out, we play a while and then I decide he needs to go back in. He doesn't want to, I want him to. Have you ever seen those idiots on TV that try and wrestle alligators? Imagine that except that the alligator is screaming and crying. Well I got him in all right only to get him right back out because he wouldn't stop screaming and we were causing a "bit" of a scene. I then thought maybe it was time to go home. I am changing him pool side while covering him with a towel for modesty. He sees a football/beach ball and wants it, so the screaming begins. I am thinking "Can I get on my clothes without him jumping in the pool? Probably not, ugh. So I wrap a towel around myself, grab him, our bag, his float, my keys and we are heading out the door. His nose is running so I wipe it with the towel I am wearing (desperate times call for desperate measures, snot was going in his mouth). So, by this time we are in the parking lot, and that's when it happened-he grabs my towel-and there I am in the parking lot of the biggest sub division I have ever seen in my life-in my swimsuit-for all to see. Now those who know me are reading this and laughing and yet, so sad for my horror and pain. There I was for all of the world to see, stretchmarks, cellulite, oh and did I mention in his struggle he was grabbing my top so that I was also flashing the world? I might as well have been naked people!!!! I have never loaded him and our junk in the car so fast in all my life.
Later that afternoon, we were playing and Abram got angry. I asked him a question and he was holding a car in each hand and he hit me. I grabbed his little hand and explained to him that that was NOT okay. That we are always soft with Mama. Then as I tried to put his hand on my face softly he hit me with his other hand. ohhhh snap, that's when I took his cars and said "we are going to time out". Abram has never been in time out before so he had no idea what is going on. He loses it. So supernanny style I had to take him back 74 times or so. This child is like the incredible hulk I swear. He was so upset, the hyperventilating started etc. I went to take the clothes out of the dryer b/c it was hard to watch and he came to the gate at the kitchen so I could see him crying. When I would try to talk to him he would try and hit again, so back he would go. Finally I just let him lay there on his back and cry. Afterwards he came to me and I said "We have to be soft to Mama." and put his hand on my cheek. He gave me a hug and I had to comfort him for 10 minutes so he would finally calm down. I explained to him how it's okay to be angry and cry, but not okay to hit, and that I loved him very much. I wondered if this was all in vain. I mean this whole episode probably lasted no more than 10 minutes but it felt like forever. So I was wondering if I traumatized him for life and tonight when I was getting him ready for bed I leaned in toward him talking to him and he took his little hand and rubbed my cheek so softly and smiled. Maybe it was a lesson learned, maybe I can continue to hang in there.
You know it's funny because some of you are wondering why I put in these dramatic crazy stories. I guess I do it so that if anyone has a day like mine, they feel normal. I read a lot of blogs where people look so perfect and don't seem real. As much as I like the blogs, it makes me kinda depressed like I am not good enough because I can't do it all, ya know? Anyways, I love my Abram he is the awesomest. We very rarely have days like this. (I am jinxing mmyself for tomorrow aren't I?) This is the first summer in a long time that I am excited for summer time, even if it is in the 90's and the first week of June. There is so much to do! Festivals, Movies at the park, new friends, the 4th of July (one of my favorite holidays), it'll be awesome.
6 comments:
I'm exhausted just reading about it. :)
Oh we have those days here every day. LOL I should blog about the swimsuit episode the other day. I think I will! LOL It wasn't funny at the time, but Dan sure did get a kick out of it!
Time out will get easier. Ethan knows time out now. I occasionally still have to take him back, but now I can say "you need to go sit in time out for two minutes", he'll actually go sit and cry! Oh, the power! LOL
Oh, and I totally feel for ya!! The swimsuit thing. Ethan always pulls on mine, even if he's not mad!
And you really want to know where he gets that from???? Are you sure???? I had a little redhead once who liked to throw a few fits....LOL
I have been close to putting him in time-out, but I usually just walk away from him and don't give him the attention, so I figured that counts!
I hate reading blogs where motherhood seems effortless for some. Sometimes I wonder if it's real or if they are just scared to admit that they have hard times out of fear of being judged as not being a good mommy.
That's why I like being real and honest is because I know that's how it is for everyone, just everyone doesn't like to admit to it.
Beth, your great-grandma (Granny) always told me and your uncle Dan "you'll pay for your raisin's" when we gave her a hard time. I thought she was talking about dried up grapes. Then I had kids. Hang in there, it sounds like you're doing a great job.
Post a Comment