Let me start off by saying that we have lived in a hotel for 4 days because of the Realtor mis communicating with Kris's work. Me, Kris, Abram, and Obi (our dog) in a small hotel room. We got here Saturday night and people from our new ward were there to help. As I went to turn on the lights, there was no electricity. The people who showed up pulled their cars in front of our house and turned on their bright lights and moved us in. Angels in the dark, I am not even kidding. Now on to the quote of the day....
When I worked at the Village we had a little inside joke called "The Quote of the Day". It was a little sarcastic and funny thing we had between the four of us and each day we would try to top one another. Well, here was the one from yesterday. Caution: this post may be a bit negative, and I promise that I am really working on that, but seriously........
The house we moved into is disgusting-especially the kitchen. We have been rented many times throughout our marriage and I have never had this kind of experience before. There was obviously NO EFFORT whatsoever into cleaning this place before the previous people left.So I start vacuuming out the cabinets (yes there is so much that I am using a vacuum) and wiping all of this sticky stuff up and I call the Realtor. This is our discussion:
Me- "Hi, I was wondering what your cleaning policy is on the rental homes."
Her- "What do you mean?"
Me- "Well, I know that we have to lay down a big fat deposit so that we can live here and I assumed that it covers cleaning. However this place is really grose. I have vacuumed food out of the cabinets, there is a mysterious sticky stuff everywhere, I could go on and on."
Her- (insert old lady southern accent) "Well honey, let me make a few phone calls and find out what is going on."
..........long time passes....and then the phone rings.........
Her- "Well honey, apparently the property manager went through with the previous tenants and they even got their full deposit back. They said everything was really clean."
.........I am getting really angry........
Me- "You can't be serious, (and then I proceed to list all of the disgusting things I have found including opened cat food containers outside in the backyard, dead bugs in the basement, leftover partially dissolved potatoes in the cabinet)."
Her- Yah, well they were an older couple, in their 50's, they didn't even have any children."
Me- "Well I know that is not true, b/c everything is baby proofed and we have found several baby items in the cabinets including blankets and bed rails."
Her- "Hmmmm...well you know (PAY ATTENTION FOR THE QUOTE OF THE DAY) I was showing the house one time and a couple of the doors had been left open, maybe someone came in and saw that it was vacant and lived there for a few days."
.................pause of silence as my mouth is hanging open wondering why she would ever say that-being that she is supposed to be a "professional" and this does not look so good on her end..............
Me- (gathering composure) "Um.....should we be worried about that? Some random person coming and living here (insert sarcasm) and "trashing the very clean house"? Should we change the locks?"
Her- "Oh no honey, I wouldn't worry about that."
.........uncomfortable silence.........
Her- "You know if you want, you can call a cleaning company and we can take it off the rent or something."
Me- " That's what we'll do, thanks."
Her- "Okay honey."
So then I send Kris over there to figure out how it will all work out. She wasn't in......so instead of waiting for her to return our calls (which she has yet to do) I have been scrubbing the kitchen for 2 days so I can get things out of boxes.
So that has been a bit of a trial. However, we are in a small branch, and the people here are really great and have been so helpful. Although I feel like there might be more drama coming.....so stay tuned.
6 comments:
Beth, that sounds so awful! Especially since you're pregnant. Oh, I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time. I can't believe that about the house. They left the door open! Random people came and lived in it! What! All I can say is wow. By the way, is there anyway I can get your new address? You can e-mail it to me at wave678@yahoo.com. Hope things get better. They have to right?
Waaaaaa! I'm still hoping someone would invent teleporting machines. Then I could come help you!
I am screaming and crying with you. The only thing worst than cleaning up my own mess is cleaning up someone elses. I am sending you good luck vibes. When you find a metal box in a loose floorboard stuffed full of Franklin's and your realitor tries to claim something- tell her it was obviously the homeless mans and finders keepers!
Susan and I would be there to help if we could!
Well, I doubt that's the case. How many squatters do you know that come in and baby proof? hahaha Awesome that your realtor is a LIAR though...
I know exactly how gross it is to clean someone else's nastiness that they've left behind in an apartment (http://katyjane.wordpress.com/2008/05/21/unsolicited-advice/). And I wasn't pregnant and it made me gag... So sorry that you have to go through that!
However, I think you should find out how much cleaning people get paid an hour, estimate the number of hours it took, write yourself a bill for that amount, and insist that they compensate you for it.
Oh yuck. I told Dan and he just cringed. You know how he is. I should totally send him down there to clean it for you guys. I hope you get moved in and get it cleaned up soon. YUCK!!! Cleaning up after other people is nasty.
Post a Comment