Monday, October 13, 2008

Well, Bless Her Heart..........

I made a decision last year, I felt inspired, creative, like I could conquer the world! I would make Abram's birthday cake every year! I thought (after reading a friend's blog entry) it would just be really cool and sentimental. So, last year for his first birthday, I decided the theme would be farm animals. I looked and looked for birthday cake ideas and found where there was a lady making a pig cake 3D style out of a pan for a sports ball cake. The pig was so adorable! But I didn't want Abram's first birthday cake to be pink, so I thought surely I could transform it into a cow. The world was against me except for one friend (this is my friend who pumps me and up and encourages me even if it's something she would never do-and might be making fun of me all the while-yes you, Lorinda). I was a little too obsessed about making everything perfect-which if you are a first time mother and you are reading this-don't be as psycho as I was-don't stress out, because he/she is not going to remember and you feel like such a loser afterwards, and if you are like me-you will get so overstressed that you will have brake downs or freak out on innocent bystanders without notice. Back to the story.......... my sister "helped" me make this cake. I use this term loosely because 1)she is very distracting-I didn't add oil or something and the 1st cake was flat so I had to go to kroger at 1 am and re bake another when she went to sleep. 2)She is not the best baker- don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE and adore my sister, but she has a hard time making chocolate covered peanuts. Needless to say the chocolate spots were special and she "accidentally" broke the ears, so we had to make adjustments. So there we had it the cow cake-I didn't know how to make a nose out of chocolate but I did find one at party city to put on. Everything was edible except the nose. Then I decided the cow needed legs, so I used twix bars **this is when I freaked out on Kris(innocent bystander)-I asked him to go to the store and buy a plain Twix emphasizing the plain (remember I was on a short fuse, everything had to be perfect) so I melted down and freaked out when he brought a peanut butter twix, because we didn't know if Abram was allergic to peanut better!!! Back to the store he went, then I decided there needed to be grass, which my sister made-the best coconut grass you have ever seen might I say. There you have it-the cow cake. I was SO PROUD of this cake, I had built it up for so long.

I was so embarrassed to bring it out of the car, because as I went to get this awesome, amazing, original cake- all of the sudden it looked like a "well, bless her heart-she tried really hard, didn't she?" cake. So I laughed all the way to Abram's high chair-the kids at the party thought it was cool, and Abram loved it-so that was all that mattered, right?






So here it is a year later-I am not as stressed about the party, or the cake. But I am going to make it again this year, I will be sure to post so you can see what I did. It can't be that hard can it?:) I can't believe my baby is turning 2!!

9 comments:

Cat0962 said...

Beth, I've been following your blog for a while and really enjoy it. I'm your second cousin, on your mom's side. (Ask your uncle Dan who Cat is). Growing up, your grandma Jessie always made my birthday cakes. The were so cool (or pretty, or funny depending on my age at the time) I never wanted to cut into them. She even made my wedding cake, something I still tell people about to this day. Keep trying, you probably have your grandma's tallent hidden away somewhere. Even if you don't you're creating wonderful memories for Abram.

The Quayles said...

Ok, for real I am in love with that cake! That you even attempted it impresses me, and I really think it looked so cute! I am going to try bake all Elliott's cakes, you are my inspiration. . . maybe I should say I want to attempt it, I'm not sure I can ANYWAY, love your blog!

Tommy said...

I love the cake but am laughing so hard right now and almost crying because Tyler woke up from his nap and walked in right as I enlarged the picture of the cake. "What is that?!?", to which I replied..."A cow cake". "But what is that on top?"... Those would be the cows ears. Shout out to you and Nat.

Windy said...

yes...bless your...i mean her heart! :) It's cute! Hey, I tagged you with Crazy Eights. Check out my blog!

Tabby said...

wow beth, it's uhhh... i mean you tried and... well, that's all that matters. but what's up with that freakishly large nose?

I am LoW said...

haha!!! I LOVED the cake! Priceless! You did great!! :-D

Cheri said...

Beth you are amazing! I love the cow cake! What a great Mom to go through all the effort!
:)
I am sure your little boy is going to appreciate all your amazing efforts.

andrea said...

Ha ha! I can totally relate!! For Olivia's second birthday I went all out psycho mom style. I made every child (like 7 or 8) their own Dora Backpack. I stopped myself at putting in a lining though. They were seriously nice. For Bentley's birthday we went to the park and they got bubbles for a party favor. Of course we were also moving 3 days later, so the grocery store made his cake this year. sad.

andrea said...

oh, and I LOVE the cake. Super cute. totally jealous.