Monday, October 20, 2008

Our Little "Punkin Head"

I went into the hospital October 18th in the evening. I was to be induced the next morning. I had brought in my last meal which was from Ruby Tuesdays, I didn't get to eat it until after it was cold, but if I had known how long it would be until I ate again...I would have scarfed it down. I was too excited to sleep. I had a really grumpy nurse who was working a double and she wasn't too happy that every time she strapped the monitor to me AS SOON AS she would leave the room Abram would move and get off the monitor. She would come in mumbling to herself and strap it even tighter, after the 6th time or so she did this the doctor put an internal monitor-Oh the joy. Kris was wearing his Batman shirt, I asked him if it was for the special occasion-to which he replied excitedly, "Yes, and tomorrow I am wearing my Dare Devil shirt!"

My water broke on it's own at 6ish the next morning. The look on Kris's face was hilarious! He ran out and started screaming to the nurses station "HER WATER IS BREAKING WHAT DO WE DO??!?!?!" The next few hours were very exciting and uncomfortable, I started having really bad contractions and Kris would watch the monitor and say "WHOA, THIS ONE IS GOING TO BE HUGE IT'S GOING OFF THE CHART! WHOA!!" I quickly informed him that I would rather know when it was almost over, than how big it was going to be so I could anticipate the hurt. Then came the epidural-a nurse (who must have been a compulsive liar) told me the I.V. (which hurt)would be worse than the epidural. Everyone left the room, I held onto my favorite nurse's scrub shirt and screamed "Son of a!!!!!" No, I didn't cuss (not out loud anyways). I could feel it wiggle in my back and had to tell the anesthesiologist when it felt right. Oh how I love epidurals....story for a different time about the video we watched in our birthing class....Anyways, after 12 hours of labor and being fully dilated-Abram wasn't getting anywhere and they thought the cord might be wrapped around his neck. I felt so calm about that, like I KNEW he would be okay. My doctor went to look at my contraction sheets, and talk with some others-I started to shake because of the epidural. The anesthesiologist walked in with a HUGE needle and says "I hear we are having a c-section!" My eyes bulged and I replied, "We are?!" and his eyes bulged and he left the room. then all of the sudden it was like an episode of ER all of the doctors and nurses ran into my room and very quickly drugged me, and took me to the operating room. I started to shake more because of the extra drugs-the more I tried to control it, the worse the shaking was. I was so drugged and I kept saying "Where's Kris? Where's Kris?" he finally came in, and by the way-he got his wish the magic "blue curtain" that blocks all vision was placed before him. My eyes were rolling in the back of my head, and doctors kept introducing themselves to me, but all I wanted to do was close my eyes so everything would be still for a minute. I could hear 80's music being played in the operating room (so meant to be) in fact the songs were "I Love Rock n Roll" Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, "Love Shack" the B-52's and "Jack and Diane" John Cougar Mellancamp. The next thing I heard was my doctor say "Well, hello Punkin Head!". Now to back up a bit, I was sure he would have red hair, Kris was sure he would have blond. I heard this thinking he had red hair, but she said it because his head was so big. When the pediatrician held Abram for us to see, we both were surprised to see his very very dark brown hair. The rest of the night and next few weeks were rough with the recovery and being new parents, but our dream had come true-we had our little boy, and that was 2 years ago. I am so blessed to be his mom.

Of course I took a shower and put on make up before this picture was taken, Abram had had a bath too....I don't have those "right after" picture-they didn't allow cameras back there-thank goodness....




This was right before we left the hospital, what a little muffin.....

9 comments:

Ben and Tanya said...

What a QT!!!! Some newborns aren't so cute, but he really was! BTW, I loved your cow cake. I think you did a great job!

Amber said...

So sweet! He was so beautiful! I forgot how tiny they are already! Yea for getting ready to do it all again, perhaps not so dramatic this time though. How big was his head anyway?

Marla said...

Awww.. I still remember that!! He was so little!

Tabby said...

he so looks like himself. he really was a cute newborn!

Carrie Maseda said...

Sooooo not fair; I wish I would have time to put on make-up. Rich got pictures of me in all my rough glory. Abram looks super cute by the way; I can't believe he is getting soooooo big! By the way, did you get my e-mail with the recipe?

Carrie Maseda said...

Okay, I just scrolled down and read the post about Abram's b-day, so no need to answer my recipe question. I'm glad you got it, and I'm glad it worked out; it looks super cute!

Katy said...

I had the shaking with the epidural too. Now I shake with all anesthesia (just an FYI--dental work becomes fun...).

I am so jealous of how good you looked after having a baby. I looked like I'd been through a war for at least 3 weeks. :P

Beth said...

Ummm...like I said, I had time to take a shower, put on make up and pose! LOL Trust me the next 3 MONTHS pictures of myself are very few and well hidden! :)

Cheri said...

Aww what a sweet little baby. Fun for you to be thinking about the little one in your belly with all those sweet newborn pictures!
Man you had a crazy labor and delivery story. You poor thing and you were such an amazing trooper! Wow! My awe and respect.