Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Nativity

This month has really flown by. It seems the older I get, the more I say that. There was an amazing activity our church did (they do every year here) called "The Nativity". The very brief summary is there are hundreds of nativities on display from all over the world, and musical performances throughout the evening from not only people who are members of our church, but in the community-school groups etc. as well. I was asked to help set up for a special lunch they provide for the uppity up (mayors governors, local officials, school board members etc) people in the community. It was nice because I got to browse through the nativities without the crowds.  I wish I could have gotten a picture when the people were there and it was lit only by the hanging lights and Christmas trees-it was truly a sight to see-that along with the music was a true reminder of what Christmas is all about. There was a room with pictures and paintings of the life of Jesus and a kids dress up room. I didn't get pictures of that night because Kris and I took one kid each as our responsibility to enforce the "no touching" rule for the nativities. Here are some pictures I took during the night we set up for the lunch.
















The one below is from Jerusalem. 
















Just to give you an idea of how many were there-this is just one angle of the gym.


















The one below is made out of silver.
















I don't know if it's too blurry to read, but the one below was made from volcanic lava.
















There were nativities from so many countries I don't even remember-Germany, Italy, countries in Africa, Austrailia, one was made out of playdough, even a marinet puppet nativity.  It was more amazing than these pictures show. And a nice reminder that we aren't the only ones who celebrate His birth.  I wish you all could have been there.

3 comments:

lunch box lowdown said...

That is SO awesome and I've always thought that was a GREAT idea. So are these all from the communitee or stake members own them?

Beth said...

Actually-they are from the stake, and people in the community too- anyone can donate, the mayor donated a silver set to be displayed(they have overnight security at the church the three nights, just in case). They said one year they had over 500 nativities!! You would have LOVED it!

I am LoW said...

Oh, I am sure I would have. That is so stinkin' cool.