Thursday, August 9, 2012

Tybee Island Lighthouse

I used to be obsessed with lighthouses. I don't know why. They seemed magical to me. Maybe because I had never been on the coast before, and had only seen them in movies. I worked in California for a couple of Summers when I was in college. One off weekend, some friends and I drove down Highway 1 (BEA-U-TI-FUL!! Gorgeous, magical, out of a magazine, etc) and we came to the Pigeon Point Lighthouse. I screamed and begged them to pull over. I hugged the lighthouse (no joke, some people hug trees-which I have, and it was against the law because you could kill a famous redwood-which I did not know, and I might, or might not have a picture hugging the hypothetical tree before I read the sign. But that is a story for another time. And some people hug lighthouses.) Anywho-I am over the obsession (and hugging), though I still find them quite fascinating. That being said, Tybee Island has a couple. And we went to one......

And we each had a partner. Here was mine.....

and we climbed ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY EIGHT STAIRS....
to wave to the little ant people.....
and take pictures that make you wana throw up because you kids keep sticking their arms
through the bars keeping them safe at the top....


the breeze was nice....
and if you want the full experience, you can make your family cram into the blocked off stairs
to the tippy top where it's a million degrees....
Fun Facts of the day:
-To save time, because we were going straight to the beach after, we wore our swimsuits. We justified this idea by telling oursleves, "It's the beach, everyone will have one their suits and cover ups." ...........we were the only ones in suits.
-Abram literally RAN up 178 stairs and wasn't out of breath. I made him stop at every little window we past making it a game to see how high we had climbed, when really it was to catch my breath.
-Susan forgot until we got to the top, she wasn't a fan of heights. Neither was the lady hugging the top of the lighthouse, (and it was not because she was a lighthouse hugger).
-Reese walked all the way up, not so much all the way down.
-According to the older lady who was one of the lighthouse guides/line referees-if I didn't quiet down while trying to entertain the children, I would shatter the glass at the top of the lighthouse.
-When you ask a random stranger to take a picture of you and your family with the lighthouse in the backround, you have to be specific-other wise you get a straight on shot of your family, with the bottom of the lighthouse in the backround.

No comments: