Friday, November 11, 2011

Thankful For Our Veterans

Today I took the boys to a Veteran's Day parade downtown.  On the way, we talked about why we celebrate this day. Also during the parade-like the prayer and the moment of silence-I explained about soldiers who didn't come home and what that meant.  I have been thinking a lot about sacrifice lately.  I had a Sunday School teacher when I was 16, who said it best- "Sacrifice is giving up something good, for something better." We may not always know what "better" will be, but I guess that's part of the sacrifice.

When we were living outside of Savannah, (Abram wasn't even a year old yet) Abram and I flew to Tennessee. On the flight home, there was a little girl who was having a hard time.  She was loud and whiny-obviously tired. Things like that really don't bother me since I have had children.  Sometimes that is a part of it.  This little girl's mother was trying to be calm with her, but there was no winning.  I tried to turn around to help, but she was more than a few rows behind me.  I hated that I couldn't get to that mother-and I was annoyed and all of the eye rolling, heavy sighs, and murmuring from other passengers.

When we landed, I waited to leave the plane-when you have a 8 month old, it's always best-it seems to take forever to get yourself, and your stuff up. I saw the mother pass by with her daughter about 3, and holding a baby, with diaper bag etc.  Kris met us at the luggage place and I saw the woman again.  She was alone, with her 3 year old with a backpack/leash on, her baby in a stroller, trying to pull a luggage rack with 2 carseats and luggage on top....by herself.  I gave Abram to Kris and I told him I had to help her.  I walked up to the lady and said "Please, let me help you." She looked at me frantically and down at all of her stuff.  She said "Thank you." and I grabbed the stroller and a bag she had and followed her to the garage.

I was trying to make small talk because I knew she was frazzled.  She couldn't remember where she parked.  Turned out-her husband was in Afghanistan and had been for a while.  She had been visiting family that was far away.  She felt bad for having me help her look for her car, and at one point-she sighed and asked me to wait while she ran with her oldest up a few rows to see if they could find it.  There I stood-with her baby and her stuff, thinking of the passengers rolling their eyes-having no idea who she was, or how much she and her sweet little girls were sacrificing.  She eventually found her car and thanked me and I left.

There are SO many families out there sacrificing.  We have no idea.  And while I am up here on my soapbox, I think of the people who protest.  I think of the people who protest the war, and people who show up at military funerals to protest.  It kills me.  They have the freedom to make their ridiculous signs and protest BECAUSE their freedom has been paid for by the ones they are protesting.  I just don't get it. And at a funeral? Come on, have some sort of respect.  Moving on.....

We enjoyed a parade today.















The boys and I had amazing seats-and got to watch the fire department do this...



























The boys were in awe.  It was beautiful and made me teary eyed.  There were so many people clapping and cheering and taking pictures.  We bowed our heads with people of many races and religions in prayer at the beginning of the parade-praying for those Veterans, and those who are currently serving our country and their families.

Right as the parade was starting, this happened....



















.......seriously-she walked up right in front of my kids.  We had a perfect view until that moment.  I took a deep breath and tried to move the stroller around a little.  It was fine (but c'mon seriously?!).

This banner said something like "Our Heroes Answered the Call...."















We enjoyed the bands, the armored vehicles, the soldiers, the flags, motorcycles, cool cars, fire engines, a MERCEDES ambulance, etc.






















It was really fun yelling "Thank you!" and clapping for them.  Towards the end of the parade, there were a couple of soldiers handing out candy to which Abram exclaimed, "They protect us AND give us candy?!"

It was awesome.

1 comment:

Brittany said...

Amen to everything! I have a special place in my heart for our country.

I'm sad I didn't know about the parade. Next year!