I need to write this before I forget-one of those "precious" moments. Every month, the first Sunday of the month-we have a "fast and testimony" meeting at church during sacrament. The ward (congregation) is asked to fast for 2 meals for someone who is sick, or your own personal reasons, whatever you need strength for, or someone who is struggling, etc. You also have the opportunity to go up in front of the congregation and bear your testimony-a brief time where you can say what you're thankful for, and talk about the Savior, etc. This, of course is done by choice, no one is made to fast, or bear their testimony. I feel like I might not be making sense-that is the summarized version-on with the story.
This month we had our fast and testimony meeting as usual. I was sitting with my family listening to members of my ward get up and talk about the Savior, things they are thankful for, etc. Abram was reading a book about dinosaurs/snakes/animals, and he started to look upset and kept rubbing his eyes. I asked him if he was okay, to which he replied, "Mom, I think I need a testimony." I paused a second and asked, "Do you need to get up and bear your testimony?" And he said with his eyes a little watery, "Yes." And then panic set in because I had no idea what he was going to say. Should I let him do it? I mean, I am all for my child having a spiritual experience, and if he felt like he needed to-then I guess I should, but what would he say when having the microphone all to himself? Time was running out-there were about 5 minutes left. I looked at Kris who was shaking his head "No"-he looked as panicked as I was and said "There's not enough time." But then I shouldn't deny him the opportunity, right? So I asked him again, "You sure?" and up we went.
I was shaking, my face was red, I had no idea what would come out of his mouth. But he walked up so confident and pulled the microphone to his mouth. Then, he cleared his throat-the sound echoed and everyone laughed. His eyes bulged, and he fell down to the floor. No, he didn't pass out-he was embarrassed. I helped him up and said, "Go ahead". Abram said a couple of words and then down he went again. I tried to recover for him and bore my testimony. As we were walking past the Bishop to go sit down, he said in a very dramatic fashion for everyone to hear, "I AM NEVER BEARING MY TESTIMONY EVER AGAIN!" And clung to me for life. When we got back to our seat he started to cry and asked why everyone was laughing at him.
Bless. His. Heart.
He thought everyone was laughing at him. I told him that everyone thought he was cute and that's why he laughed. Then the Bishop got up, repeated what Abram had said, and then said that he imagined Abram must be a lot like I was when I was little. If only he knew......
It took a lot of courage for him to get up and do that. I was so proud, and nervous. I thought for sure dinosaurs and superheroes were going to be talked about. Maybe next month.
No comments:
Post a Comment