Monday, June 6, 2011

The Reesemiester Strikes Again

We are on day 4, I have waited to announce this on the blog for fear of jinxing it.  Last Thursday was crazy for some reason for this little guy...

was in a FOUL mood. Especially when it came to naptime.  This was a bizarre occurance considering he loves naptime which usually goes like so: Here's your blankie, here's your paci, sweet dreams-and he is out.  Well he wasn't having any of it.  So I thought he was just over tired and he needed to cry a bit and then he'd fall asleep.  After a few minutes I went to check on the hysterical little monster to find this (re-inacted for blogging purposes)...

I went to give it back to him to which he replied in a very LOUD volume, "NOOOO PACIIII!!!!!" "Okay" I retorted and walked downstairs.  A few minutes later it was silent.  This frightened me a bit, so I snuck up the stairs and found him asleep (and Abram asleep with the covers over his head-I guess to muffle Reese's hysterics). I immediately called Kris.  You see, I have been DREADING taking his paci away.  He would only use it for sleeping, but oh-how easy it was.  The oldest was a bit traumatized as you may recall.  Kris was really funny, he said, "Maybe it was the book!"  When we were talking about taking Abram's paci away, his Aunt Terri sent us this book...

Unfortunately we got it after we had taken it away-but, the funny thing is-Reese has never read this book, and we read it to him the night before it happened.

I thought it was a fluke, but now we are on day 4 and he hasn't mentioned it AT ALL. I was thinking about it, I used to rock Reese every night with his bottle before I would put him to sleep.  One night, I can't even remember how old he was, I rocked him for a couple of minutes and he started wiggling until he wiggled off my lap (maybe 9 months old?) and I put him to bed, and he went to sleep.  And I never rocked him for longer than a couple minutes again.  He was done.  It's like he gets something in his mind, and that is the way it is. I see this a lot in his behaviors.  So now if I can figure out how to channel that trait for good only maybe the teenage years won't be so bad, right?

1 comment:

Katy said...

Oliver was the same! He gave stuff up when he gave it up, and not a moment sooner. I dreaded taking away his pacifier, and he just went with it. He stopped breastfeeding because he was done with it. He potty trained when he decided he was ready to be potty trained.

And he'll cut his hair when he's good and ready lol. It's something to remember when there are big things coming up--he'll do it when he's ready.

(Hazel, on the other hand, won't do anything until you force her to.)