Sunday, February 2, 2014

Summer 2013

I know, what a LAME-O, cramming Summer into one post. I am anxious to get caught up-and truth be told, most of what I recall from Summer is RAIN. It was the forever raining Summer. So, I am going to hit my favorite parts of Summer.

We went to the zoo A LOT.




















We also went camping. This was probably the most fun thing we did as a family this past Summer. Some friends asked if we would be interested and we responded with a "HECK YES!!" Kris had taken the boys on father/son campouts before, but we had never made time to go as a family. "Are you sure our tent is big enough?" I say. "Plenty big enough." he says. "Looks like it might be a little cramped." I say. "No-TONS of room." he says. "Will you get our sleeping bags out?" I say. "Sure, but it's so warm we'll just be sleeping on top of them" he says.

Fast forward to waking up cold in the middle of the night.

Uhhh, am I am laying on GRAVEL? I was sure I fell asleep on a pad. I am squished against the side of the tent, laying on gravel next to a four year old sprawled out snug as a bug-next to a husband sprawled out, snoring away. The oldest at my feet contently wrapped up in what appears to be a huge sleeping bag of comfort. SO I stuck my legs in my sleeping bag..and wonder who has "short sheeted" me. I'm confused, so I try again to stretch out my legs, only to learn that my 6 year old and I have each others bags!!! So I just grinned and bore(?) it. Upon my family awakening from a deep slumber, "We are buying a bigger tent." I say.

Camping was seriously so much fun. The best part to me, was seeing Abram in his element. As a parent, I get myself way too worked up about finding my kids elements. What is the thing they'll be good at, love, etc.I let it stress me out, which is silly. But I have noticed ever since Abram was a tot, he has loved the outdoors. He loved hiking, climbing trees, and being outside. He glowed that weekend, and had a smile on his face the ENTIRE time. It made me so proud and happy for him, and made me aware that I needed to make a better effort so that he can experience more of these things. This is how many kids were there camping with us. It makes me laugh because it's a ridiculous amount of kiddos. It also makes me laugh that Reese wanted nothing to do with getting his picture taken. This rock was the center of our campsites and I may have had 7 heart attacks while suddenly seeing my children on top of it.



























The next weekend or so Erin, Bonnie, Kris, and I took our kiddos to Pickett State Park to hike a couple of trails for Girls Camp. It rained, and rained, and rained. This kids were such troopers. By the end, my kids were shirtless in the rain-typical all boy. It was so fun. But rain=no pictures.

Speaking of no pictures. I was able to go to Girls Camp this past Summer and be in charge of the YCLs with two other AMAZINGLY AWESOME women. Fortunately, there was a rule of "no cell phones", unfortunately that meant, not a lot of pictures. It was so wonderful. It was so spiritual. It deserves it's own post.

What else did we do? We did play dates....

















We did movies.....

















We did Cades Cove...a few times. Note that this was in Abram's "fedora phase". I don't know what brought this about. But he had to have one, and he had to wear it every. where.























Raisor boy totem pole...





















Traditional Swinging Area....






 Somebody was getting tired.....























My most favorite people in the whole. wide. world. 

No comments: