Probably everyone has that they they deserve. You know what I am talking about........karma. As I type his I am imagining my mother reading this, and grinning. Let me introduce this one to you, who we affectionately call "The Monster".
Case in point
Someone didn't want to eat their chicken nuggets last night. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, except for the fact that they are a SUPER picky eater. It happened right after the age the age of 2. Before that he would eat anything you put before him. Since then his menu choices have been dwindling. He will make himself so upset that he will throw up-lovely. The pediatrician said that he won't starve himself, so to keep offering the same thing, and he will eat when he is hungry. I was kinda chicken (pun intended) to do it, thinking he wasn't old enough-wouldn't understand, etc. Well I am past that now, as his food choices only consist of 4 things right now. SO last night was the last straw. Chicken nuggets used to be his favorite food. So I offered them to him, he refused to eat-so he hasn't ate since. Now I am feeling guilty-because I offered them for breakfast, and he refused. In an hour it will be lunchtime and he still refuses to eat the chicken (mind you that it is not the same chicken, I heat up "fresh" ones). Ugh, I know where he gets this defiance....
and for the record, I won't name names-lets just say he gets it honestly. So there he sits, telling me his belly hurts-but won't eat the nuggets. I even threatened to not let him watch his favorite show this morning, it didn't matter. All of the "threats" I have to follow through, ugh! What's a mother to do???
Update: He "lasted" until 12:30-which really isn't true. This hyper child laid on the couch for 2 hours with his blanket while Reese and I played , not playing and telling me his belly hurt. He looked miserable. I explained why it hurt-because he needed to eat something so his body would have energy etc etc. He said he just wanted to go to sleep after crying non stop. The child hadn't even had anything to drink since yesterday. Mommy guilt set it and I convinced him to take one bite. Seriously I think I am giving him post traumatic stress disorder or something. He ate one bite, and swallowed it......and threw up on his plate, and then completely lost it. This is not worth it. So I caved, and made him a peanut butter sandwich. It's not like he eats junk food all the time, he eats vegetables etc. He just doesn't like meat for some reason. Seriously, I don't want this to be an issue-i just worry about how it will end up in the long run. I just kept sayng to him, "Why are you making this such a big deal?" Which could have been reflected back at me. Little does he know his karma is being built as I type. Advice???? Anyone with picky eater children??? HELP ME!!!!
8 comments:
I am probably THE WORST one to comment on this....
So let's just say.... I never worried about my kids eating. It was a nonissue. And that's not to say that they didn't skip meals because they didn't like what I made, that happened, but I never thought twice about it. I always figured if they were hungry enough to eat, they would. So I watch my sisters really fret over their kids eating, even chasing them down to make them take a bite of something and I never ever did that, so it's bizarre to me.
So I don't know if my kids were just easy in that way. But I kinda think that it's more like, I didn't (and wouldn't have) noticed otherwise.
Did that make sense? haha
(I STILL MISS YOU BETH!)
I had an issue with chickie once because she choked on a corn chip and only wanted to eat things that were the consistency of mush for a while. I ended up talking with beth morgenegg about it. Since she is a speech therapist she has some experience with eating therapy. You should call her!
Beth I've been there. I also thought my firstborn would starve, so I asked the doctor. He told me the same thing yours did. I learned the hard way too--it didn't help that I had a mother in law that would stand on her head to get Bill to eat, and cooked whatever he wanted--seperate from the meals she made for her husband! (she was my primary day care, so I was stuck with that!)After a trip to Grandma's house I would have to start all over again and I'm not ashamed to admit I did cry right along with him sometimes. We both survived, his tastebuds developed and now he's a healthy 27 year old that will eat anything but bananas. One piece of advice--don't tell your kids if you dislike a food. Let them try anything once. It gets easier as they get older, I promise!
I had battles not too different from this with my firstborn, too. I had to learn that it was not meant to be that I "win". Indeed, I had to learn that winning was not my goal. When I quit trying to "win" he quit being so stubborn. It was a workable compromise. (this took more than a decade to learn)
I really appreciate your comments, it's just what I needed to hear. Isn't it funny that I would know exactly what to say to someone else in this situation (to not worry about it, it's not that big of a deal). But when you are going through it you feel like no one can relate b/c it seems as though everyone else is perfect? I think it is a texture issue, so I may talk to Beth (thanks Drea). Why is it again that they don't come out with handbooks? :)
Good luck Beth. I haven't had too much of an issue with Finn yet but he is pickier than he used to be, but he will eat even if it's the same thing everyday. I figure he's ok. He gets a vitamin everyday, and he doesn't eat junk food. All he wants to eat is breakfast - yogurt, oatmeal, cereal, applesauce, and fruit. He will also eat chicken nuggets, pizza, and turkey sandwiches. That's about it. I hope it gets easier for you and Abram soon!
Ethan went through this. We never make him a different meal. He gets what we get and if he doesn't eat it fine. He does have to try everything though. Usually if he tries it he ends up liking it and will eat more. If he doesn't eat that's the last thing he gets until his next meal. He always eats breakfast.
Oh and Clark, Bianca's son has some food issues. She always says that she doesn't know how he survives.
I think he misses his nana ... LOL He'll eat when he gets hungry. He's testing you. I think he needs a chocolate milkshake!
Post a Comment