Tuesday, July 2, 2013

O "Me" of Little Faith

I was reminded of a great lesson by my 6 year old yesterday. We were swimming in the pool, and playing with dive sticks. The deep end of our community pool has a 5ft to 10ft slope and Abram threw one of the dive sticks on the slope, and it rolled into deeper waters. He was having a hard time trying to get the dive stick and he tried over and over again. I asked if he needed help, and he said he could do it. After 10 tries or so, I asked if he needed me to get it. He was catching his breath and holding to the side of the pool and looked at me and asked, "Mom, can I pray about it?" I hadn't even thought about it. I said, "Of course." and he put both hands on the edge of the pool, rested his head on his hands and I could see his lips moving but couldn't hear what he was saying. I also said a silent prayer to please help him with this. Abram looked at me, took a deep breath and went under. From where I was in the water he looked like he just missed it. When he came up, I said, "You were so close!" Abram just smiled and lifted his other hand out of the water holding the diving stick. "It worked Mom! It really worked!"

Of course it worked. Because Heavenly Father hears our prayers. And He knows how important things are to us. He knows how important it was to Abram to get that diving stick. I felt humbled, and told Abram to say a prayer of thanks, and he did, and so did I. I was so grateful for him to have that experience. To learn that if Heavenly Father would help him find a diving stick, how many other things would He help him with.

No comments: