Monday, September 13, 2010

Whoa, there are A LOT of Mormon folk in Raleigh area!

For those of you who aren't LDS, let me give you some terminology that will make this post easier to understand:
Ward= Congregation
Branch= Smaller congregation
Primary= Children's Church
Nursery= for children ages 18 months- three years old
Stake Center= one of the larger buildings
Relief Society= Service organization for the women in the church

Okay, now that that has been explained, let me inform you that mostly through my membership in my church I have been in a Branch-this is important to know, as I freaked out a little this past Sunday.  We meet at the Stake Center and since the parking lot was full, we parked here:


-Shock number one-I have NEVER lived this close to a temple before, wow.
-Shock number two-there are 4 WARDS that meet in our building.
-Shock number three-finding out that not including the THREE NURSERIES they have (just for our ward) that there are 110 KIDS in Primary!!! Abram was a little overwhelmed, and didn't want me to leave. I must admit, I got a little teary eyed leaving him n there with so many people-having anxiey for him.
- Relief Society has activities for at least three days a week, so many activitiesservice opportunities.
-When we switched classes (along with the other wards) it was a huge sea of people. I was holding tight to Abram's hand yelling, "Don't let go!!"

I was exhausted after church just because I was so overwhelmed.  I didn't know what to do with myself.

All of that being said, it is a small world afterall. I met relatives of some friends in Knoxville, we got invited over to a family's house for dessert last night-which was not only yummy, but a lot of fun. Abram did well in Primary, and really liked his class. And it looks like I won't be bored for a while, because there is a ton to do.

2 comments:

I am LoW said...

That's how Utah is! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I would have been overwhelmed too. That's HUGE!! THREE nurseries for one ward?! How many kids are in nursery?

I hope you have fun getting to know all the new people around you!