Sunday, May 16, 2010

Priorities

There are some things that you need to know before I write this, like things that are going on effecting my madness/state of mind:

Kris has been gone for 2 weeks.  He won't be back until Thursday.  He is in Florida, hired for a job that was supposed to be 14 days.  Don't get me wrong, I am so grateful for the work, but I needed you to know my state of mind being "on duty" 24/7 as I write this.

So I am a wee bit overweight (understatment) I have some leftover baby weight that I cannot get motivated to lose.  I don't need a pep talk, I KNOW I can do it, I have done it before-it's just...well let me put it this way, a long time ago I heard a quote from Janet Jackson something like, "I am one of those people who has to eat right and exercise a lot to be thin." I am also one of those people Janet.  I have to eat A LOT LESS and exercise A LOT MORE to get rid of this junk in the trunk....and in the front seat if you know what I mean.  It's just easier to eat Oreo cookies dunked in milk than go running with the double jogger, stopping every three feet to look at things my three year old points out.  In fact, a lady (that I have never talked to before) asked me last Sunday- "How are you feeling?" to which I replied, "My sinuses are killing me-you know allergies and all, but other than that-fine, how about you?"  Later I realized......I was wearing an empire waist style dress-SON OF A GUN DID SHE THINK I WAS PREGNANT?!  I'm not sure....but like I said important to the state of mind.  As of right now, me no likey skinny people. 

So I am at church today, by myself with the kiddos. At my church everyone is together for the first part-there is no nursery until the second hour (Reese isn't old enough anyway).  We get there early, I am so excited.....except that I forgot my bag to teach my class.  So thankfully we are about one minute away, so I bust it back making it to church just after it starts.  So here I come, with the kids and what feels like 74 bags with me of snacks, toys, books, scriptures, lesson manual, crafts, crayons, etc. Abram was a champ,....Reese on the other hand-total monkey.  He is doing this new thing now where he will put himself to sleep-which is AWESOME-but he has to be in his own bed.  So he won't fall asleep at church anymore, he will just be super tired, and delirious. So I am wrestling with him, trying to keep him entertained, and keep him from crawling over me into the aisle.  We don't have pews (I don't know why) so chairs make life a lot more difficult.  Then I am sitting behind this cute young married couple-let's call them "Barbie and Ken".  Who are so skinny they have goosebumps because the air is on while I am SWEATING like a pig, trying to contain my one year old.  People, I was a birth control commercial!! You know what I am talking about, that break in reality where even though everyone really isn't staring at you and judging your mothering skills, you feel like they are.  Where everything that normally works to entertain your child, isn't.  Where for some reason this seems like THE LONGEST HOUR OF YOUR LIFE!! And then there is Barbie and Ken, you don't really care about Ken, it's Barbie-you know tall, thin, beautiful, and perfect-except she doesn't think she's any of those things so it's even worse because you have no reason to dislike her.  You just find yourself comparing yourself to her.  It's a wonder that they make perfect dresses in her size b/c she is so small, when you chose the dress with the big flowers hoping it would camoflauge. SO this was the start to my day.  We made it through church thanks to some help from some friends and made it home, we ALL took a nap. 

Then, I was making supper.

Nothing fancy, just spaghetti.  I hear my oldest singing "I am a Child of God" and other songs in the backround, and I hear my youngest blowing kisses at me waiting for me to yell "Ouch!" when they hit, only for him to have the biggest grin and start laughing so hard.  To see my youngest folding his arms for the prayer, to talk about what we learned at church, and then for them to eat spaghetti like it was the best gourmet dinner they had ever tasted.  It was in those sweet moments that I feel the most beautiful.  Like I feel like this is exactly what I am supposed to be doing.  All of the negative thoughts I had had that morning were gone.  I am doing the hardest, most rewarding job that I will ever have......























7 comments:

Amy said...

Beth,

"Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest"
-Joshua 1:9


My thoughts and prayers are with your family

Love,
Amy

Laura said...

If it helps at all I thought you looked great when I saw you!

Also, I hated the chairs at your church building. Sooooo not comfy.

Also, yesterday our church bldg's AC was broken. I was sooo hot and I swelled up like a little piggy. That was awesome. ha ha.

Randall Family said...

Beth, you are amazing and honest and wonderful. I SO miss you. What an awful and wonderful day. Ughhh.. . . Ahhhhh. : )

"this too shall pass."

Love you!!

Rebecca

Katy said...

Dear Beth,

I love you. You are my hero.

And, for what it's worth, when we lived near you guys, YOU were the perfect one that I wanted to be just like.

Love,
Katy

Ben and Tanya said...

I liked this post. Very real and so funny! I can relate with everything you said!

I am LoW said...

Oh Beth, I have missed you! And your blog. My computer is all screwed up and I've been having to log in under my kids thing and well, they don't have your blog saved to favorites (and why not???) so I need to do something about that. Anyways, for one, when you CLAIM to have a little extra weight on, I have a hard time believing you, b/c you were a hottie when you lived here and didn't admit to that. :) ANd secondly, even if you do, it reminds me of Stephanie Nielsons video you posted, where she says she is not her body. Know what I mean? ;-)

Marla said...

Okay, one.. I am in the same boat. Hate the way that I look and need to get motivated to lose weight. I actually did go running yesterday and hated every minute. Not sure if there will be a repeat performance or not. It's hard being a mom and finding time to do things for yourself. When I'm working full time I feel so guilty doing anything extra that might take me away from the boys. So I don't do anything for myself.

Two, I have decided that church is impossible with a one year old. I went to church (my church) with Owen on Sunday. On my own, (oh Ethan was there also, but he's good) and it was impossible. Impossible. Especially when at my church kids are supposed to be quiet. At least at Dan's there are 100 other kids and it's okay if they make noise. Owen is the only baby at mine. :( I felt like such a loser. Especially when I was wrestling with him and he kept pulling my dress up. I wonder how many people I flashed? Hmmm......

Anyway, I totally feel your pain. In every department. We need to get together. We leave town tomorrow for a week. Then the next week I have inservice training quite a bit. But, I'll get back to you. :)