Wednesday, February 24, 2010

You Take the Good, You Take the Bad...

Today the boys and I did some errands in Knoxville.  We had a lot of fun, well mostly.  On one of the errands we went to Dick's Sporting Goods.  Abram was in the stroller and I was getting Reese out when all of the sudden a firetruck drove through the parking lot right behind our car! I yelled for Abram too look, and as he did (kind of overwhelmed because it was SO close), the firefighters turned on the lights and all waved at him.  It was so cool, not only for me-but for my three year old who has a bit of an obsession.  We went into the store talking about how cool and a little bit scary it was, and how firefighters help people, etc. THEN we saw three of the fire fighters inside-they approached us and Abram immediately told them how he saw an "ENORMOUS fire truck" outside, and they gave him high fives and talked to him a bit-it was so nice of them.  Abram was ecstatic. I am so thankful for people who serve in the fire department and police department and protect our cities.

......and then we went to Toys R Us, and now for the public apology.  You see we have a rule, Abram can walk instead of getting in the cart when we are at the store, unless he doesn't listen. He gets one warning and then into the cart he goes. We were playing and running around having a grand ole time (I do need to put in that this is our third hour of running errands, and fourth store, he had been a rock star up til this point) until Abram wanted a truck. I told him no. We were okay for a moment, until he realized I was being serious.  Then the fit started, so I gave him a warning.  Then, into the cart he went-and that's when the screaming started.  I am not talking "get a shot, I hate the doctor" scream.  I am talking sending 3 Toys R Us workers running to the aisle where we are to make sure a child wasn't being murdered (I wish I was kidding).  I tried to talk to him, but the screaming persisted along with a couple of "I wanna hit you Mama!"s in there. So, I calmly pushed my screaming children (he was freaking Reese out so they were both screaming at this point) out to the "lobby" area.  I explained that yesterday we talked about consequences when you don't make good choices, and screaming like that wasn't a good choice, so the consequence was that we were leaving.  Yes, he screamed out to the car, and in the car where we talked more about it.

I apologize to anyone who had been previously enjoying their shopping experience until then.


Geesh people, I was a parent to that kid today.

5 comments:

D Maxie said...

Hummmm.... I remember those days about 28 or so years ago! LOL

Marla said...

Oh no! I hate those melt downs. We tell Ethan you can hold it and carry it but we are not buying it today. That almost always works for him.

erin said...

Finn would have thought the fire truck thing was the coolest. He would be jealous of Abram if he knew how...Sorry about Toys R Us. Finn had a screaming fit in Target the other day but it was nowhere near that bad. Hopefully that will be that last one ever, right? We still need to get together. I'm free this Saturday if you want to do anything.

Katy said...

Oliver's last fit like that was when I said we were leaving playgroup. Now, this is a new playgroup where I don't know anyone really well because we just moved here. Oliver pushed a kid down, wouldn't apologize, and then when he was in time out for not saying he was sorry, he kicked me really hard because he was mad at me, and then threw such a big fit that he gave himself a nosebleed. We talked about consequences that day, too. LOL!

I am LoW said...

I remember when Nolan did that at his age at the grocery store because I wouldn't buy him ice cream.

He's stil kinda like that. :-)